For an organization claiming it’s all about freedom, the kinds of regulations the National Rifle Association champions are all about restricting the rights of Americans who would want to love free of guns and the fear of gun violence.
One of the NRA’s most coveted custom-made laws, is the Firearm Owners’ Protection Act of 1986, which forbids creating a database of gun owners, similar to that for driver’s licenses. It should be noted that there is no Firearm Victims’ Protection Act, the National Rifle Association would oppose that at all costs.
These are just a few of the things the National Rifle Association has done for (to) us to make us all more free via firearm ownership:
- A 1986 law, the Firearm Owners’ Protection Act, explicitly forbids the government from creating a database of gun owners.
- The Tiahrt Amendment, named after Republican congressman Todd Tiahrt, requires the FBI to destroy background check data for firearms within 24 hours. Tiahrt won a National Rifle Association award for that one.
- In 1996 the National Rifle Association lobbied a Republican-controlled congress into stripping the CDC’s funding for gun violence research. The Dickey Amendment forbids the CDC to spend funds “to advocate or promote gun control.”
- In 2017 tRUMP signed a law revoking an Obama-era gun regulation making it more difficult for those with mental illnesses to acquire guns. Unlike most tRUMP’s usual bill-signing theatrics, the media wasn’t allowed to attend the signing to keep it quiet.
- Last December House republicans passed The Concealed Carry Reciprocity Act of 2017 that would force states with stricter gun laws, such as New York and California, to honor out-of-state permits from states with less restrictive requirements.
- Republicans are trying to pass the National Rifle Association-sponsored Sportsmen’s Heritage and Recreational Enhancement Act (the SHARE Act), which would loosen restrictions on silencers and deregulate sales of armor-piercing bullets.
The National Rifle Association doesn’t kill people. The National Rifle Association’s polices do. Only good people with consciences and common sense can stop the NRA’s trampling on the rights of Americans who want to live safer, gun-free lives.
Here are some groups fighting for sane gun laws in the face of an organization, the NRA, that takes money from America’s enemies, Russia, to undermine our way of life and our form of government.